Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2005, 11:51 am

More...

After Anakin's Mom is buried outside Uncle Owen's, why do we not see the gravestone in the later Luke years (yes, Owen could have had it remved so as not to have to answer suspicious questions, but still...)

Also, if R2D2 can fly, as he demonstrated in Attack Of The Clones, then why did he not help his later friends Luke and Leia out of trouble on more than on occasion in this way? Sure, this circuit could have been fried, but surely he would have gotten an overhaul somewhere down the line, and he looks pretty spiffy at the end of A New Hope.

Obi-Wan, in A New Hope, doesn't "recall owning a droid". Bad memory old man - sure he never actually "owned" R2, but surely he would have remembered this little robot hanging around his old friends. Even if - as many have tried to speculate - there are many R2 units about, wouldn't Obi-Wan even have the slightest "what if?" moment and perhaps consider it could be the same droid?

There are more, but I don't have the time right now... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 21st, 2005, 1:00 pm

Some may be real plot holes but some maybe have answers.
Obi-Wan, in A New Hope, doesn't "recall owning a droid."
I always thought he was putting Luke on and using double-talk. Obi-Wan had a way of saying things that could be interpreted different ways. The "owning a droid" thing was more talk along the lines of "Anakin Skywalker was killed by Darth Vader," (however that line goes).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wolf Tooth » April 21st, 2005, 1:14 pm

Ben wrote: Obi-Wan, in A New Hope, doesn't "recall owning a droid".

It was believed that the driod's memmories have been eraced(hence, C3-PO not remembering tatooine). Who ever did(most likely the Rebbles) made R2-D2 Old Ben his 'master'

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2005, 4:11 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. Girls fall for the wrong guys all the time.

That's true but I totally agree with George. Anakin may be hot and everything but how could ANY girl fall for such a weirdo who has delusions of granduer, who whines and whines about Obi-Wan not giving him space and whose best compliment to her is: "I don't like sand, it's rough. Not like you, you're smooth." Then later he's like: "I killed the women, I killed the children, I killed them all." And Padme's just like, Oh, OK. I love you Anakin. A psyho-killer obsessed with his mom--that's every girl's dream! :P

We are supposed to see the "good" Anakin before the bad one is born...but there really isn't much that's likable about him. (unlike Luke or Han Solo)

Generally, I liked Jango Fett in Episode II and he was the best thing BESIDES Obi-Wan in that film, but putting in Boba Fett as a kiddie clone was not a bright thing to do.
Lucas's answer would probably be that he was "trying to appeal to kids." (Like with the Ewoks and Jar-Jar) Ugh! :x
It's just plain, sloppy, lazy writing and bad directing...
I agree. I read somewhere that Lucas really doesn't like the writing part of making these films and sees it like "a term paper" he has to do. Well, if that's how he feels, why doesn't he get someone else who WANTS to do it?? Then maybe these films would actually make sense! :twisted:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 21st, 2005, 7:01 pm

We are supposed to see the "good" Anakin before the bad one is born...but there really isn't much that's likable about him. (unlike Luke or Han Solo)
That might be true but a lot of bashers don't like the idea of the prequels because they didn't want to ever see any good side of Anakin (so you can't satisfy everyone). They didn't want to see him as an innocent 9-year old kid. They thought the prequels should've started out with him as an evil, brooding teenager. The main problem with the prequels is that there is no humanly possible way to make them to fit everyone's preconceived notions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 21st, 2005, 7:17 pm

ShyViolet wrote: That's true but I totally agree with George. Anakin may be hot and everything but how could ANY girl fall for such a weirdo who has delusions of granduer, who whines and whines about Obi-Wan not giving him space and whose best compliment to her is: "I don't like sand, it's rough. Not like you, you're smooth." Then later he's like: "I killed the women, I killed the children, I killed them all." And Padme's just like, Oh, OK. I love you Anakin. A psyho-killer obsessed with his mom--that's every girl's dream! :P
Because girls are dumb and go for that.
That's why all the emo freaks at school get so many ladies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2005, 7:29 pm

Christian wrote:
Obi-Wan, in A New Hope, doesn't "recall owning a droid."
I always thought he was putting Luke on and using double-talk. Obi-Wan had a way of saying things that could be interpreted different ways.
Yes, well this works out if you want to start justifying all the plot holes and inaccuracies Lucas has peppered the screenplays with. Ho-hum, Obi-Wan's loose tongue: explains a lot, eh?

Like how Darth Vader WASN'T Luke's father in Empire until the second or third script drafts (on Lawrence Kasdan's suggestion), making what Obi-Wan said "true...from a certain point of view". Right, my @$$.

And how there wasn't even a character called Vader (or a main villain) in the early Star Wars script (of which I have a copy, when Luke was "Starkiller").

And as for memory wipes... fine, well a droid is a droid - but who wiped Obi-Wan's memory, huh> Like I said, no-one thinks that he would have been the teeeeesiest, tiiiiiiiiniest curious that a similar droid turned up again, what with all the goings on in the universe and Luke showing up and all?

Doesn't work out there, at all...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 21st, 2005, 8:29 pm

I thought he knew very well who R2 was but didn't want to make it too obvious to Luke that he knew. He knew how to get the Leia holograph working again and when he did that was a hint to the audience that he had encountered that particular droid before even if he hadn't "owned" him. Of course, when I saw the movie when I was 7 I never thought about anything like that. It was just visually a very appealing movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2005, 12:05 pm

Also the whole thing about Leia and Luke being bro and sis probably didn't come in till much later, otherwise why else would there have been that whole "implied love triangle" thing between the three main characters in the first two films. (Leia kisses Luke in front of Han in Empire, Luke looks pleased.)

Plus I always thought the whole idea that "Anakin built C-Threepio" was REALLY dumb. The other innacuracies I can live with but that was just STUPID. Especially the way he looked in TPM, with no armor.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2005, 1:06 pm

...and that "C-3PO built Anakin"... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 23rd, 2005, 12:20 am

Luke Skywalker baby pics? possible spoilers

http://www.babycompanion.com/2005/04/st ... -first.php

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2005, 9:05 am

You know, the posts that follow those pics are really very fun! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 23rd, 2005, 12:47 pm

Screw you guys, I liked Jar-Jar :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » April 23rd, 2005, 1:35 pm

Jar Jar is a weird sort of sidekick. I can see how young kids are entertained by him and his whole "mesa people gonna die!" sort of language. But George Lucas completely lost me when I saw Jar Jar was promoted to be the queen's personal assistent in Attack of the Clones. Seriously, what was that all about? He has no brains whatsoever. Anyone can see that. Heck, even Chewbaka would have made a better assistent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Actually, part of the reason Jar-Jar was so bad wasn't really because he was annoying. (although he was) The real problem was that his interactions with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and everyone else were extremely unconvincing. He didn't seem to be part of the story at all, just "written in" by Lucas for comic relief. It was like he was part of a different film.
The script was weak enough without him, with all that stuff about Anakin and the Senate and Naboo, (way too complicated) but Jar-Jar just about killed that script. It was a case of "throw everything in for good measure."
Character development and an overriding theme were basically thrown out the window.