Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2005, 10:35 pm

I know! They are such jerks! :x
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2005, 9:12 am

I have just seen Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith.

Gawd that sounds cool. I'll say it again:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2005, 9:13 am

Just posted this in the other SW thread but it's just too cool not to do it again here:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2005, 10:38 am

How was it?? :o
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2005, 11:10 am

It was very cool.

Not sure if it's as good as any of the original trilogy - it's certainly "different". I did rate Clones almost as good as Jedi (if you go on an Empire/New Hope/Jedi basis), and this is better, or "bigger", than that, though it IS very, very dark and "serious" as is rumored, but not as layered as Empire.

The excitement factor obviously accounts for a lot, so I'd like to see it again and will still go to the midnite regular screening that I booked last week (my preview was a last minute surprise) when I can sit and take it all in.

There are some very well done scenes, and a surprise or two among all the carnage (and this is all about carnage!) though not all plot holes resolve themselves (as we knew), even if Lucas has made a game attempt at doing so.

Typically well made, didn't seem long at all, and some of ILM's best work EVER in here - I was astounded by several things that I knew couldn't be real or mocked up for real that looked so good. Yoda works, though fans will be split again on this (the only drawback with the fight with the Emperor is their size differences and how Palpatine has to kind of play to that, plus one shot that looks completely fake).

But the rest is a good old SW ride that they have pulled all the stops out for, even if it felt a little bit like a "greatest hits" version of what we imagined all this to be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2005, 11:14 am

Awesome...I can't wait. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Star Wars

Post by Rabbit Frenzy » May 6th, 2005, 7:45 pm

I plan to see this within a week or two once my finals for this semester are over. :) Did it tie the two triologies together or did it leave a lot of unanswered questions between the third and fourth films?
What we have learned from history is that we have not learned from history.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 6th, 2005, 7:59 pm

I'll be there at midnight. Missed a couple different press screenings and might be able to go to a promo screening on the 18th but if not I'll be cool with the midnight screening on the 19th. People have pointed out minor quibbles with the movie but they have all said that none of their complaints ruin the whole movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 6th, 2005, 11:10 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Yeah, do what Homer did in that episode where he and Marge went to see Empire when they were young:
Coming out of the theater: "Wow, who'd've thought Darth Vadar was Luke SkyWalker's father?" Right in front of people waiting to see it. :lol:
I was thinking of that XD

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wolf Tooth » May 7th, 2005, 9:35 am

Oh my! This teacher(who is pritty level headed person) of mine went into this big crazy lecture that Star Wars brain washes kids into thinking it's the greatest thing through their merchandising. It was kinda hilarious and sad at the same time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2005, 10:42 am

Well, it is really... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2005, 10:52 am

Thare are some unanswered things, and others that just don't add up ("Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" will not make sense in the LEAST when you see how things play out).

Otherwise, as I say above, Lucas has made a game attempt at tying up the loose ends, considering he wrote everything backwards.

Oh, and for the record, Jar Jar only appears in a couple of scenes breifly, and I don't think he actually said a word if I remember rightly, so he's almost a token non-presence and doesn't upset the film at all.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 7th, 2005, 8:45 pm

Ben said

[quote]There are some unanswered things, and others that just don't add up ("Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" will not make sense in the LEAST when you see how things play out).[/quote]

That's easy to explain.

Lucas didn't have a lot of things worked out with the original trilogy even by the time [i]Return of the Jedi[/i] started filming. He hadn't decided Vader was Luke's father until the last minute. Same deal with Leia being Luke's sister.

Lucas wouldn't be the first screenwriter to write something 5, 10, or 20 years in the past and contradict himself later on in another film.

One or two [i]Star Trek[/i] screenwriters have done the same, too.

Episode IV stands the way it was originally written and aired. If anything contradicts it, it's Episode I-III not the other way around.

There are people to this day who still don't buy that Vader was Anakin and that Leia is Luke's biological twin sister.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2005, 9:12 pm

Yeah like that free plug Spielberg gave George in that scene in ET. Y'know, when Eliot is showing ET his Star Wars figures?

Recess Pieces wasn't the only product placement there.....(I think originally they were supposed to be M & M's, but Mars wouldn't agree to it.)

Oh well, Steve was just trying to help his buddy out....
:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

A different take on Star Wars

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2005, 10:15 pm

From the Guardian newspaper: You might not agree with everything, but there are some good points. :wink:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea ... 31,00.html